Get to know your entertainers!!
Fuse introduces Kokyo Taiko! As told by leader, Maureen Brase-Houchin.
1) If you could perform anywhere where would it be?
--Omura-shi, Nagasaki-ken, Japan - take Kokyo's members to see where it all began for us and meet the members of my old taiko group, Itsumokko. It would be incredible to have Kokyo perform for my Japanese friends and family, showing them how we have continued this cultural art in America!
2) If you were a box of cereal what would you be and why?
--Uh...I know which one I wouldn't be - Fruity Pebbles. They made me vomit as a kid - must be all that toxic coloring!
3) What's the most memorable performance your group has been a part of?
--The last FUSE performance, of course!!
4) What song best describes you?
--Don't Worry Be Happy smile emoticon
5) How often do you practice?
--All the time in my head and tapping on surfaces. As for the group, we might practice several times a week if we have a big performance to prepare for. More often it's just once or twice a week due to everyone's schedules.
6) How long does it take for one person to learn a piece or a routine?
--It depends on the person's past music/dance experience, but it generally seems to take around 6 months of dedicated practice to go beyond memorizing the piece, to fully capture form and technique.